Thursday, November 27, 2008

Psalm 33

today
marks the 33rd time I celebrate
Thanksgiving

yet since my parents
grandparents
and kin before them
passed down to me
the priceless gift
of faith in Christ
I cannot count the number of days
I stop to catch my breath
completely overwhelmed with gratitude
literally swimming in a pool of grace
so full of thanks
I cannot possibly identify each and every
good thing


thanksgiving --- without a capital t


don't get me wrong

life hurts
pain creeps into my bosom
fear tightens my chest
making it harder to breathe
harder to get a handle on
everything
some days


but still
even though
yet
however
and by the way

i never lose hope
or dismiss any seemingly small incident
as coincidence
because I know my Savior
-- having burrowed myself in His care

funny how
as i parent my child
willing to give him everything
while disciplining him swiftly
i glean a better understanding of
God's love
and unquestionable provision
for me

just a hint

and it is a healing salve


today is the 33rd day
i celebrate Thanksgiving

--the U.S. holiday --

not the state of mind




~ MaryAnn -- November 2008 ~




Give thanks to the Lord, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done. 1 Chronicles 16:8

No comments: