Thursday, June 17, 2010

Words....


Before Given left for his trip, we tried to finish the stories we were reading and listening to. We finished two audiobooks that we checked out at the library: 1) The Adventures of Ali Baba Bernstein and 2) The Great Cheese Conspiracy.

We also finished reading the classic chapter book, Anne of Green Gables. All was well, Given was doing a wonderful job of following along, paying attention, and enjoying the story. But when we got to one particular chapter, his little mind was stumped. Here is an excerpt from the part of the story that lead to 50 questions:
When the doctor arrived, he said that Matthew had died instantly of a heart attack, probably caused by a sudden shock. When they looked at the piece of paper he had been holding, they knew the doctor was right. The paper was an announcement that the Abbey Bank had failed. Matthew and Marilla's savings had been wiped out! They were broke. The shock had been too much for Matthew's weak heart.
Given asked how Matthew died....and then he asked how Matthew got shocked. He knows what the word "shocked" means in relation to electricity. He knows to stay away from power outlets...and so he was convinced that when Matthew took the letter out of the envelope, it was just like putting his fingers into a socket. The envelope was dangerous!

Then he asked what happened to Matthew and Marilla's money.
I said it was gone, and he wanted to know who took it. I said thieves took it, and he wanted to know if they came in the night...and how they got in the bank...and if the bank was locked...and if they broke the windows...and what they did with all the money.

His questions were perfect....his mind is working hard to put all the details together....I hope his teachers will appreciate all the questions he asks.

I know I do!!

No comments: