I learned this morning that a friend's mother had passed away. I did not know her mother, but I felt overwhelmed when I put myself in her shoes. The suddenness of it --- simply caught me off guard. I had to start writing --- to get my thoughts outside of my head and put life/death/now into perspective:
in these good times…
grab hold
cling tight
use both hands
shake every last bit of goodness
out of today
drink your wine from crystal glasses
someone give a toast
scrape the bottom of the barrel
savor every morsel
leave not one drop in your cup
lick your plate clean
suck the marrow out of the bone
go ahead
have a second helping
now
turn up the music
dance to that song that moves you
go on --- sing out loud
even though someone may
hear you
say ‘how-do-you-do’ to each person who passes
don’t hold your happiness inside
don’t pass on a chance
to laugh ‘til it hurts
or let go of a snort on the side
do it now
while you can
while you have it in you
to do it
because everything changes
in an instant
these good times
are a gift
for this season
and perhaps another
but never a promise
*************
in these good times…
grab hold
cling tight
use both hands
shake every last bit of goodness
out of today
drink your wine from crystal glasses
someone give a toast
scrape the bottom of the barrel
savor every morsel
leave not one drop in your cup
lick your plate clean
suck the marrow out of the bone
go ahead
have a second helping
now
turn up the music
dance to that song that moves you
go on --- sing out loud
even though someone may
hear you
say ‘how-do-you-do’ to each person who passes
don’t hold your happiness inside
don’t pass on a chance
to laugh ‘til it hurts
or let go of a snort on the side
do it now
while you can
while you have it in you
to do it
because everything changes
in an instant
these good times
are a gift
for this season
and perhaps another
but never a promise
*************
Needless to say, this loss bothered me all day. Especially when my thoughts turned to my own Mother. I felt guilty of taking her for granted....expecting her to be within reach for my forever. I had to keep writing...and this follow-up poem is, for me, the BOTTOM-LINE LESSON LEARNED today:
Right now
-- if I want to --
I can pick up the phone
and say ‘Hi’ to my mom
I can -- if I need to --
-- or if I wanted to --
get in the car and drive to her doorstep
where she would greet me
hold me close for a second
follow up with a quick kiss
-- on the cheek, not the lips!--
then find me something to eat
If I started to cry
she would say every right word
-- if any existed --
to make me all well again
she would mend me
If I started to laugh
she would be quick to join me
and then – of course –
tell me how silly I am
-- remark what a silly daughter she has
and ask, ‘What am I going to do with you?’
And before I could find my way
to the end of this poem
. . .
I had to stop writing...
Right now
-- if I want to --
I can pick up the phone
and say ‘Hi’ to my mom
I can -- if I need to --
-- or if I wanted to --
get in the car and drive to her doorstep
where she would greet me
hold me close for a second
follow up with a quick kiss
-- on the cheek, not the lips!--
then find me something to eat
If I started to cry
she would say every right word
-- if any existed --
to make me all well again
she would mend me
If I started to laugh
she would be quick to join me
and then – of course –
tell me how silly I am
-- remark what a silly daughter she has
and ask, ‘What am I going to do with you?’
And before I could find my way
to the end of this poem
. . .
I had to stop writing...
and pick up the phone...
and hear her voice…
‘No reason, Mom,’
I said….
‘I’m just calling because
I still can…’
and hear her voice…
‘No reason, Mom,’
I said….
‘I’m just calling because
I still can…’

1 comment:
Your words still move me. You have a special gift. Continue to embrace it. Love you, girl!
Post a Comment