Wednesday, December 31, 2008

December Update!

December 2008 --
As of midnight, it's another one for the history books.
It was a terribly busy month, but we had a lot of fun.
Here is the Month-At-A-Glance!


Given is trying out new stall tactics to keep from going to bed. One of his excuses to get out of bed is that he is hungry. My litmus test to determine if he is truly hungry is to ask, “Are you hungry enough to eat a sweet potato?” To date, the answer has always been, “YES!” And so on several occasions I have cooked a sweet potato in the microwave, sliced it, peeled the skin off, and watched Given eat it….and play a bit too. Here he is, hanging out on the kitchen counter with his plate of food…and a devilish grin!

One of my good friends, Mike, retired from SSA. I traveled to Kansas City to attend his party and spend time with a wonderful, long-time friend, Jalene. Backup to the plane trip to KC. I sat next to a lovely couple from Midland, TX. The woman saw me playing Sudoku --- and I spent the rest of the flight teaching her how to play the game. As we talked, she mentioned that her husband was a football player in KC many years ago. He spoke up every now and then, asking me where I was from and what I did for a living. At the end of the flight, she wrote her name and email address in my Sudoku book so I could keep up with her and her Sudoku adventures : )

Anyway, I asked Jalene's husband, Jim (a true sports fan and walking book of knowledge), if he knew a football player named E.J. Holub. Of course, Jim knew who E.J. was ... and even recognized him when he got off the plane! E.J. played for the Texans and the KC Chiefs...and played in the first Super Bowl. I was intrigued, so I approached Mr. Halob at the baggage claim area and asked him if I could have a picture with him... He was very kind and humble. He let me wear his TWO SUPERBOWL RINGS (size 18) from years '66 and '69 for the photo that Jalene took with E.J. and his wife. VERY COOL! And yes, I still plan to email Mrs. Holub about her Sudoku progress.

Unfortunately, Jim had gone to get the car and missed the rings and the photoshoot...


Mike's retirement party was held at the Cheesecake Factory located in KC at the Country Club Plaza. The lights were gorgeous, as usual. This is a picture taken from the Cheesecake Factory rooftop.
I work with the coolest people on earth -- and I am perfectly blessed to have the job I have. Let me pause just one more second to say, "Thank you Jesus" for these blessings. Anyway, here is a picture of me and some coworkers decorating the front office. Well, to be honest, I mostly took pictures, made comments, and picked the mood music. I can't take credit for much more than that....but they love me anyway ; )

In other news, Given visited Dr. Steele's office for his bi-annual dental checkup. We love this place. They have PACMAN -- the arcade game, for those of you who don't know -- in the waiting room. It's free to play. Given got to pick out a movie to have played in his dental room -- he chose Madagascar. Also while he waited, we were able to make Christmas ornaments and hang them on the tree in the dentist's office. Given was such a big boy during the entire visit. He had his first x-rays taken, his teeth cleaned, flossed, and he got a new Go Diego Go toothbrush. There were also other small toys that were lavished upon him. The final outcome....NO CAVITIES! That's what we like to hear!!
Given's friend, Grayson, turned four in December, and Given and I made some special birthday cards for Grayson before going to his really cool birthday party. Given is putting CARS stickers all over the cards he created.

The party was so much fun....the bounce house, the balloons, the sidewalk chalk, the bubbles, the PLAY DOUGH, and the friends were among the highlights. We love our friends -- Sarah, Rus, and Grayson. Of course, we love our MiMi too!!


My camera was on vacation a bit during Christmas break. I slept A LOT...Given played with his Cousin, Aunts, and Uncles non-stop. Auntie Martha took some great pictures -- and they are posted on her blog -- but one thing that Given always looks forward to at Grandma Susie's house is the cookie baking and decorating. Here he is with some sprinkles -- showing off some of his handywork.

PS...I have to say, Mom, that these cookies were probably the BEST sugar cookies I've ever tasted. I ate one last night and nearly went into a sugar coma ; )
We wish each of you a beautiful, blessed, thoughtful, intentional, and memorable New Year.

Happy 2009!!!

1 comment:

Charissa said...

So, I finally figured out what my password was so that I can get back on blogger and start commenting! I tried calling you last week because I went to Dallas for the weekend and I was hoping we could get together. Maybe next time!