Monday evening, Given and I were lying in my bed, talking about our schedule for the next day. (I have found that it works well to prepare him for activities at least a day in advance so he will know what to expect.) I told him that as soon as I got off of work I would pick him up, and we would go to Ms. Lety's house to get our hair cut.
I said, “Given, Mommy or Daddy will always pick you up. Do you know why?”
He said, “Because you love me.”
“That is right,” I said, secretly overjoyed and relieved that he 'gets' that we love him. “We love you, and we will always pick you up.”
His next comment nearly left me speechless, “But why do you love me Mom?”
I’m not sure what, exactly, I said to him…probably something like, “Because you’re my son, and I love you more than anything,” but I was so struck by his inquiry…and my lack of ability to even ATTEMPT to put into words an answer.
Why do I love him so much??? There are a thousand reasons…most of which I cannot adequately articulate. What I can say, though, is that loving him is easy…and he still brings out the best in me.
I said, “Given, Mommy or Daddy will always pick you up. Do you know why?”
He said, “Because you love me.”
“That is right,” I said, secretly overjoyed and relieved that he 'gets' that we love him. “We love you, and we will always pick you up.”
His next comment nearly left me speechless, “But why do you love me Mom?”
I’m not sure what, exactly, I said to him…probably something like, “Because you’re my son, and I love you more than anything,” but I was so struck by his inquiry…and my lack of ability to even ATTEMPT to put into words an answer.
Why do I love him so much??? There are a thousand reasons…most of which I cannot adequately articulate. What I can say, though, is that loving him is easy…and he still brings out the best in me.
After work on Tuesday, I picked Given up, and we went to Ms. Lety's house for haircuts. He was a trooper, and played well with Ms. Lety's daughter. He especially enjoyed pushing around her shopping cart. Inside the cart was a blue ball...and his new sock monkey, 'Funky Monkey', rode in the front of the basket.
These are such good days...

No comments:
Post a Comment