It finally happened, and for those of you who have been on my back about it, you can breathe a sigh of relief: Given is completely weaned. If you think it was easy, you are wrong, for Given and I had fully ritualized “mama dee-do” every morning when he woke up and before bed every night. It was our bond and our comfort over the past eighteen months – a commitment that I was willing to maintain; however, I knew it had to end eventually.
I heard a few theories, like “you’ll know when it’s time,” and “he will wean himself when he loses interest,” but I did not find either to be true. I had to make a conscious choice about this one…and nurture him through the change. When Given cries for “mama dee-do,” I have to say “it’s all gone – it went to the office” because he understands that when Mommy and Daddy are not at home, they are at the office.
If I were forced to rationalize the timing, I would say we reached a milestone when Given started jumping out of his crib. That seems as good a reason as any to me. Babies don’t escape from their beds, but little boys do. Change makes room for us to grow and enjoy new experiences – at least this is what I will keep telling myself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment